Ward 4 Newsletter
Richard J. Cherchio was elected on April 7, 2015 to represent the residents of Ward 4 on the North Las Vegas City Council. This is Mr. Cherchio’s second time serving the residents of Ward 4, having previously served on the City Council through an appointment from 2009-2011. He has been a resident of North Las Vegas since moving to Nevada with his wife Gloria in September 2001.
Mr. Cherchio’s civic involvement in North Las Vegas began almost immediately upon moving to the community. Following the attacks on 9/11, Mr. Cherchio could not get approval to fly the American flag on his property from his homeowners association, inspiring him to become a community advocate. He pursued the issue for himself and his neighbors, eventually winning the right to fly the American flag in all communities.
Mr. Cherchio’s growing reputation as an effective and dedicated community leader led to his appointment to the City Council in 2009. He was known as an accessible and full-time Councilman, serving on multiple boards, including the Southern Nevada Regional Planning Coalition, Nellis AFB Civilian Military Board, and the City of North Las Vegas Legislative Affairs Committee, among others.
He attended Saint John's Elementary School in South Brooklyn, N.Y. and graduated from John Jay High School in Park Slope, Brooklyn.
He and his wife, Gloria, have been married for 34 years. They are parents to Lisa, grandparents to Nicole, Allison and Jennifer (who currently serves in the Army Reserves), and recently became proud great-grandparents to Elend. In his spare time, he enjoys landscaping, stone and wood working, and traveling.
Mr. Cherchio currently serves and volunteers with the following organizations:
- Founder and officer of the North Las Vegas Alliance of HOAs and Concerned Citizens.
- Past Member of the North Las Vegas Community Veterans Commission.
- Liasion, Nellis Air Force base P-4 initiative (public/private partnerships).
- Lifetime member of the Protectors of Tule Springs (now our National Monument).
- Founder and member of Volunteers In Police Service (VIPS).
- Member of the Citizens Police Academy Alumni North (CPAAN).
- Member of the Debt Management Commission
- Member of Las Vegas Metro Chamber of Commerce.
- Member of the Southern Nevada Regional Planning Coalition
- Executive Board Alternate of the Civilian Military Council of Southern Nevada
- Lifetime Member, Friends of the North Las Vegas Library District.
- Present Board Member and Past President (12 years) of The Parks Homeowner Association
- Past Member of the Southern Nevada District Board of Health