Safety Bulletin Board

Request email notification when page changes E-Notify

Holiday Safety Tips

Light Up Your Tree … Not Your Home

Only Santa has a Magical Vehicle…Don’t Drink & Drive

Keep everything at least 3 feet away from portable floor space heaters

Talk to your kids about electric lights, cords and decorations – Don’t touch!

Examine your lights for wear – kids can help point out unlit bulbs, but they shouldn’t handle the strands.

If you have a live tree, set a family tree-watering plan and if your kids are old enough, let them participate. 

 Check your holiday decorations to make sure they are not a choking hazard.

Turn pot handles inward when cooking to avoid being grabbed by kids.

Review your fire escape plan. Do your holiday decorations block any essential exits?

Learn what a UL Mark looks like and teach your kids to find them on products.

If you use candles and matches, make sure they are stored in a locked cabinet or well away from children.

Test your smoke alarm. Need new batteries? Replace them.

Recycle wrapping paper into cards or tags and use again.

Recycle your tree at a local recycling center.  Find one near you at www.earth911.com

 

 

 

CANDLE SafetyTips - REMEMBER! CANDLE FIRES ARE PREVENTABLE!
Cause and Circumstance of Home Candle Fires


  • December is the peak time of year for home candle fires.  In December, 13% of home candle fires begin with decorations compared to 4% the rest of the year.
  • More than half of all candle fires start when something that can burn (decorations, furniture, mattresses, bedding, curtains) is too close to the candle.             
  • In 20% of candle fires, they have been left unattended.
  • Over 36% of home candle fires begin in the bedroom.
  • Falling asleep is a factor in 12% of home candle fires and 36% of the associated deaths.
  • 50% of home candle fire deaths occur between Midnight and 6:00 a.m.
  • Young children and older adults have the highest death risk from candle fires.
  • The risk of fatal candle fires appears higher when candles are used for light.
  • Use flameless candles - they look, smell and feel like real candles!
  • If you use candles, place in metal, glass or ceramic holders, where they can’t be knocked down.
  • Keep candles at least 12 inches from anything that can burn.
  • Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.
  • Never use a candle near medical oxygen.  The two can combine to create a large, unexpected fire.
  • Always use a flashlight – not a candle – for emergency lighting.
  • Never put candles on a Christmas tree.
  • Extinguish candles after use and before going to bed.
  • NEVER leave burning candles unattended!